In the Accustomed Chaos household you will find a lot of toys. Blocks, cars, dolls, puzzles, books, balls, stackables even containers and jars. What you wont find though are any toys that promote weapon play. No guns. Strict rule. This was a conscious decision my husband and I made before our first child was born.
Why?
Guns are not fun. There is nothing fun about them and unless (*) you come from a family who are avid hunters or a military family - there is no real life skill learned there. Guns are violent and promote only one thing. to kill.
My husband is not specifically against other 'weapons' like swords or bows. His reasoning:
When was the last time you heard of someone dying from a sword
I still don't like to promote any type of play that simulates injuring someone else. I am shocked with the young boys i run into randomly at the store who think running around pretending to shoot me (a stranger) with their hands cocked like guns is ok and fun. Where did their innocence go? The time where they had no idea what killing was? We are not hardwired to kill. Guns do not help people, there is nothing positive about a gun. Play shooting someone is not playing.
I will not tell you what to get or not get for your child but i will not promote it with my children. (*) It's my hope that if you do get your child a weapon 'toy' that you take the time to have a discussion with them about the dangers of weapons, that death by weapon is painful and not make belief.
| I love hearing from you! Leave a comment below ♥ Accustomed Chaos | Gluten Free Attachment Parenting™ Email: accustomedchaos@gmail.com |
