Thursday, June 17, 2010

Why You Should Be Mindful of Your Language Too


A few months ago I wrote a post on why we, as breastfeeding advocates need to be mindful of the language that we use in order to create an environment for positive advocacy.  I very much believe that our approach – including our language – directly relates in our ability to reach out to all women who are looking for information, help or an ear.  As someone who is hoping to promote positive advocacy for breastfeeding while supporting all women and their choices I try to be very cautious of the language I use. 

I have never and will never bash formula or formula users - it is my goal to provide accurate information about breastfeeding rights, normalcy and benefits.  I will never pass judgment on any woman for choosing formula and while I believe breastfeeding is normal, beneficial for both mom and baby and ideal ,I will never speak or think negatively towards a woman or family for their choice {or medical need} to use formula.  I will inform/support/empower when there is a supportive and willing relationship.

Like I said I have posted before about our language - as breastfeeding advocates - and now I would like to address the language that is used towards breastfeeding advocates that has become just as harmful.



"Breastfeeding/Lactation Nazi" is a term that I have heard used as a way to describe breastfeeding advocates.  What I find so offensive about this language other then the obvious comparison - is that it lumps us all together in a very negative light. Same way women who use formula hate to be lumped together in a negative light.  While I can understand where the term "comes from" {I had used it before in the past when I was formula feeding my first child} I think language is very powerful and if we are trying to get our point across - let's use the right language. 


If you are a reader of my blog, follow me on twitter or chat with me in real life - you will know my stance on breastfeeding advocates masquerading as advocates who are really formula haters. This is what makes my "job" harder as I try to be a true advocate for all women and why I hate that term . I do not like being lumped in with "advocates" who judge based on face value without taking into consideration the woman or family situation or the society booby traps we are all up against.   

Now normally I try not to care what people think of me or my choices {try - still working on it} but if there is even a chance of someone thinking I am a "Breastfeeding Nazi" based solely on the fact that I consider myself a "breastfeeding advocate" that makes it near impossible to develop a positive relationship with a woman who could potentially really want the guidance, help or reassurance.  I take that very personally.  I have never {to my knowledge} been called this term, but let me be clear - those who judge, place pressure or blame on the woman are not breastfeeding advocates just as not all breastfeeding advocates are formula haters.  


:: Words hold a lot of weight so be sure you are using the right ones ::



Would Love to Hear From You! Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment Below


Top Mommy Blogs - Vote for us @ TopMommyBlogs.Com!