There has been so much coverage in the "twitterverse" and "blogosphere" about the recent breastfeeding studies (Pediatrics & Breastfeeding in Toronto) that have just been published and along with them comes the 'discussions'. Before I began using twitter I had no idea of the true divide there was between women when it comes to their choice in feeding their infants.
There has been a large campaign to change the way we talk about breastfeeding. Changing the language from "Breast is Best" to "Breast is Normal" so that we can spread positive information about breastfeeding and to support women. There was an AMAZING post written by Megan at Sorta Crunchy where she speaks so eloquently the best way for supporting a movement of change. Advocating for change and to make breastfeeding 'normal' does not have to include negatively discussing women and families who choose formula for their infant - what ever their reason. Megan said everything I was trying to say in my last breastfeeding post, putting into words what I couldn't. I especially love the way she emphasizes to watch the language you use.
{stepping on the soapbox}
A phrase I often hear "pro-breastfeeders" use when it comes to talking about women & families who have chosen to use formula is that they had/have a "lack of knowledge" and that is why they are not breastfeeding. While I think there is misinformation all over the place about breastfeeding - what is normal/what is enough/time lines and so on - information regarding the benefits to breastfeeding for the baby's health - short term and long term, health benefits to the mother, the benefits to the pocketbook, society, the environment etc... is not hidden information.
If you talk to women who are/have chosen formula for their infant - I am sure they can tell you that they know the benefits to breastfeeding, why it is considered the number 1 choice. In Canada - especially near where I live - it is a pro-breastfeeding area and while I understand that this is not the case everywhere - that is exactly why general statements like "lack of knowledge" is a counter-productive, negative statement. I think what it all really boils down to is not a "lack of knowledge" but a "lack of confidence". I know it may seem like I'm just playing with words here and there is no difference, maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but hear me out.
My oldest child was formula fed from 6 weeks on. I knew all the benefits to breastfeeding and had full intention of breastfeeding exclusively for 6 months, continue for at least 1 year - the whole nine yards. I knew the information. What I did lack was confidence in my body that it knew what it was doing - confidence in my baby that he knew what he was doing. I was not falling under the spell that formula was just as good as breast milk.
I delivered my son in a very pro-breastfeeding hospital. The staff knew what they were talking about, a policy that no baby was fed formula unless the parent supplied it and signed a waver, baby room-in - I could not have asked for a better set up for success. However, it was not successful. Physically I could breastfeed, but I had no confidence. No confidence that my body knew what it as doing - that it would make enough milk for this baby, that my nipples would be able to heal from the latching issues we had, that I would no longer be deprived of sleep. I had no confidence that my baby knew that he really did want to be latched all day and all night long.
Top Mommy Blogs - Vote for us @ TopMommyBlogs.Com!








