Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Product Review: Jaxn's Twice-Baked Potato Stix

Jaxn's Twice-Baked Potato Stix

I received 2 bags of Jaxn's Twice-Baked Potato Stix to test out and review. I had not seen a gluten free product like this so I was very intrigued and interested to test them out.  I am a huge fan of chips, french fries and the salt and pepper flavors so I had high hopes for this product.

Jaxn's are described as being
  • All Natural, Gluten Free Ingredients
  • Lose the fries, not the flavor!
  • A unique crunch & addictive burst of Flavor!
  • Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper
Jaxn's are made up of a combination of potato flakes, rice flour and olive oil and is sea salt and cracked pepper flavour.

Packaging:

The Jaxn's Twice-Baked Potato Stix come in a 0.6oz. (170g) bag.  They are labeled with being "All Natural" and "Gluten Free" clearly labeled on the front of the package as well as the back.  They contain 130 calories and 6g of fat in a 1oz serving size (approx 18 pieces).

Something I was confused about was that although the product is clearly labeled "Gluten Free" - writing under the ingredients indicate that Jaxn's are "baked in a facility that also produces products containing wheat".  Now if you have been reading my reviews you know that I am not a fan of products that label themselves as Gluten Free but then have a disclaimer that it *might not be true because they are not in a dedicated facility.




I contacted the Chairman of Bodacious Food Company Inc., David Hayes and here's what he said:

We test batches twice per day in-house, and send out samples monthly to a third party.  Our in-house test goes down to 5ppm and we have never had a positive test to date.

We thoroughly clean the plant before production, and the potato stix are baked exclusively on that day of production. 

Some have advised that the disclaimer is not necessary and is not a legal requirement, but, to be fully open and honest, we felt it appropriate to include on the package.



Taste and Texture:


The taste of Jaxn's is really good. It doesn't taste too salty (which is what I always worry about) and the cracked pepper is just the right amount of flavouring.  It didn't really taste like a french fry to me but reminded me a lot of Goldfish crackers (which are not gluten free) and Pringles (again not gluten free). 







Kids Appeal:
All 3 of my kids really enjoyed the potato stix. Princess R thought they were french fries when she saw them and was excited that they crunched. They kept asking for more and had fun dipping them into ketchup as well as ate them on their own.  I even found Princess R and Baby E sneaking them when they thought I wasn't looking.

You can find out more about Jaxn's Twice-Baked Potato Stix by checking out their website, facebook page and following them on twitter.

Would Love to Hear From You! Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment Below


Top Mommy Blogs - Vote for us @ TopMommyBlogs.Com!