Starting off my new guest post series on Infant Diapering is Erin (@Jmomma07) from Emommyhood.com. Erin shares her adventures in using cloth diapers and her decision to switch to disposable diapers. Here is her adventure in her own words:
*----------------------------------------------------------------------*
When my second son was about 8 months old I began cloth
diapering. We are a family of four on one income and the budget
is very tight. I was struggling a lot with trying to stay
within my grocery budget every week, so I was looking to see where I
could cut things and try to save money. Honestly there is not
much to cut, so I thought that eliminating the cost of disposable
diapers would help. Also...I don't get out much and I really really
do love my cable and didn't want to give it up. It is my form
of entertainment and the one thing that could be cut. Plus, Noggin
and Nick Jr are pretty popular with my kids..especially on a day
where I'm sick or need to finish cooking dinner.
It took some convincing to get my husband on board because it is a
chunk of change to get started. They are really not cheap, but
you have to look at what you will be saving in the long run. I
also thought about how I could cloth diaper my next child from day
one, and by the time that child is potty trained, I will have saved
big..really big. So, we made the splurge and bought the
diapers. I really liked it at first, they were the cutest
things and he looked adorable in them. My 3yr old who is potty
trained also wore them to bed. The extra laundry and occasional
scraping poo off a diaper really didn't bother me and the grocery
budget had some more wiggle room.
Then, my little guy started getting horrible rashes and the
diapers began to leak and repel. So, I cranked up the hot
water heater and stripped the diapers with Dawn dish soap.
I rinsed about 5 times until I didn't see bubbles anymore. I
figured this would take care of it. Not too long after that I
realized that the prescription diaper rash cream that I was using was
also causing a build up. So, when he needed cream, I made sure
to use a disposable liner. I stripped the diapers again.
I was using regular cloth detergent after doing some research on the
Internet trying to figure out what detergents were cloth diaper
friendly. Free and Clear detergents are not cloth friendly and
those seem to be the only kinds of detergent that will not
cause my son to get an awful rash. I don't use dryer sheets
with the cloth diapers, but I do with my regular laundry and the
residue in the dryer was also causing a build up in my diapers.
I started getting pretty frustrated with the constant leaking and
changing sheets every morning.
One morning not too long ago, my 3yr old's diaper had leaked all
over his bed sheets and when I picked up my 1yr old my hip got all
wet because his diaper had leaked so much. My toilet then got
clogged after I dumped the "contents" of my 1yr old's
diaper in it and tried to flush it. It was 6am, I had already
stripped a crib and a toddler bed of sheets full of urine, I was
plunging a toilet, my shirt had pee on it, and my kids were whining
at me for breakfast. I noticed the pile of regular laundry
sitting in the kitchen being neglected because my washer was once
again occupied by cloth diapers that I was trying to strip and I
snapped !!! I'd had enough.
I'm going back to disposables. Do I feel bad about it ?
Yes. Am I probably going to get into an argument with my
husband about this ? Yes. Am I going to feel some guilt when I buy a
package of disposable diapers ? Probably. I feel bad about it,
and my intentions were good when I began doing this, but it has
become too much. I don't want to make things more difficult
financially, but adding unnecessary work and frustration to my day
with my children is not going to be good for any of us. I tried
it and it is just not for me. I need to try and simplify a
little and stop thinking that just because I'm not working outside
the home, I don't deserve for anything to be easy. Am I trying
to justify my decision ? Yes. To be honest, I really have
a lot of respect for all you cloth diapering mommas out there ! It is
not the easiest or most convenient thing to do and a lot of you make
it work ! However right now for me, I believe I'm putting my sanity
first.
| I love hearing from you! Leave a comment below ♥ Accustomed Chaos | Gluten Free Attachment Parenting™ Email: accustomedchaos@gmail.com |









