Monday, July 19, 2010

Friendships, Motherhood and Life

Photo Credit
I was having a conversation with my sister yesterday on our way back from a little shopping excursion and it is still playing in my mind.  An interesting topic that we both seemed to struggle with and a question neither had the answer to.  Since I have the worlds greatest blogging buddies I thought I would throw the question to you. 

How do you make new friends as an adult?


When I was younger it was easy to make friends. I was in school full time, I had a job and that is where the majority of my friends were from. We had a lot in common because we were studying the same thing in school and were in the same classes and were then "forced" to hang out with each other every day.  

I noticed things changed a lot for me when I graduated from college and got married that summer.  I had some of my best college {and a few high school} friends at my wedding and in my wedding.  It was wonderful to share that experience with them.  They held my hand as I grieved my first 3 miscarriages and then suddenly a lot changed when I had Big P.  I noticed a few of my friends stopped calling and we weren't seeing each other nearly at all.  I get it - we were no longer in the same life situation - we had little in common. It still hurt.  

I have some great friends in my life who I sadly don't get to see nearly enough. They are mothers too and we all know how difficult it can be to find time for ourselves, let alone time for friends who live 40 minutes away. It really is not practical to get together once a week for girl time.  Most of the time I am only able to connect with them through an email once in a while.  It is the result of our busy lives and a bit of traveling distance {and of course my inability to drive, which makes it even harder.}

I see on television shows and movies wonderful groups of friends {like Sex and the City or Friends} and find myself wondering how many women actually have that in their life.  Are you still friends with women who you have known forever, who are in different life situations and still find time to meet up at least once a month?  I find myself craving that and the more I think about it the more I realize that.

Like I was saying - my sister and I were talking about how you meet new friends as an adult?  Since there is no school curriculum "forcing" people with a similar interest together and in my case, no job outside the house, how do you make new friends? 

::Where do you find that common ground that brings you together and you build a true friendship upon?:: 


I love hearing from you! Leave a comment below ♥
Accustomed Chaos / Canada Gluten Free Examiner
Email: accustomedchaos@gmail.com
               TwitterFacebookBlog RSS