Monday, May 17, 2010

Self Esteem: Girls vs The Media

Photo Credit
I am scared for my daughters. I am scared that they will grow up in an even more “self-esteem tear down culture” then we are in now.  I am scared they are going to hate their bodies and themselves and place more value on their beauty then it's worth.


I know this is not new information to anyone – it's not new to me either. Since I had children – my 2 girls specifically – I have found myself a lot more aware of all the images that could potentially 'bring them down'.  When I had my girls I made a promise to myself to work on my self esteem and self image so that I can teach and model healthy images for my daughters.  It is hard – I am still struggling with it – but it's for them.

At times it seems overwhelming and sort of pointless. I know I am going to have to 'release' my girls into the world when they start school – they will be more aware of the media out there and I can't shield them away from it forever.  I am afraid that the media will just become more sexualized in time and hide the advertising behind a 'better purpose'.


The Dove campaign (Campaign For Real Beauty) is a campaign that seems to be trying to work on self esteem for women and girls. I have a mixed feeling about what I have seen from this campaign though. If I see their ads on tv and visit their website – they are still featuring (yes, not model thin and some are older) women prancing around in their underwear. Still not a healthy image I want my daughters to be exposed to – they are still selling a product using a woman's body.


One main issue I have with something I have seen from Dove's Campaign For Real Beauty advertising is a particular commercial they name “Onslaught”.  The idea (from what I am gathering) behind this idea is to nail home the point that sexualized advertisements are harmful for young girls.   However, if you watch this advertisement – a whole 1 minute and 22 seconds – perhaps you will see the same issue I have with this:



 

Dove is in the beauty industry and they are doing exactly what they are trying to preach against – hiding it behind a self esteem campaign. Although their slogan “talk to your daughter before the beauty industry does” is a powerful message –  they have shown more sexualized images in this 1 and a half minutes then any other commercial I have seen – ever. 

I know that this is just one commercial and one part of the campaign – perhaps I am being a bit too critical – but I really feel that this whole message is a giant oxymoron and really turns me off of their whole campaign and message. There is NO way they could not have seen the irony in their statement and this video. 

I definitely feel this campaign has an ulterior motive. They are in the beauty industry and are still doing harm – hiding behind a campaign because women want to believe there are companies and products out there for everyone – I do not believe their bull sh*t.

Anyone know of a campaign/company/non profit group that are actually doing what they preach and looking out for our daughters?




Would Love to Hear From You! Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment Below


Top Mommy Blogs - Vote for us @ TopMommyBlogs.Com!