This weeks guest post on Infant Diapering comes from Alexis (Jacksmom4life) who is a new mom to a gorgeous baby boy. Today she shares with us her experience in using cloth diapers and why she loves them:
* ------------------------------------------- *
Cloth diapers were never a twinkle in my eye until I started
talking to my sister again. I found out
she was using cloth and was very interested in them. I started researching them and what it was
all about. It’s amazing how far cloth
diapers have come since I was a baby 27 years ago. There are so many different kinds, diaper
services, cleaning routines. There is
tons of information and great diaper companies out there.
My husband and I were very much prepared for clothing,
feeding, diapering, and caring for our baby, but little did we know that there
would be so many funny things to come from changing a diaper. As anyone with a boy knows, they can pee all
over the place. Up in the air, on you,
on their face, on anything laying close or far away from them, you name it…
they can hit it. So as new parents my
husband and I learned how to be very quick at changing a diaper. While learning how to be fast, I do have to
say, I have been peed on too many times to count. I think sometimes my almost 4 month old,
holds it just so he can get me. He
smiles as I scream, and then I laugh at him.
I guess it’s kind of a game now, on who can be faster. Me to cover him up, or him to pee on me.
We us cloth diapers called Softbums and we LOVE them. Even my husband LOVES them. For the first week and a half we had to use disposable
diapers since we decided to have our son circumcised. We couldn’t wait to start using the cloth
diapers. In the first week or so, our
son was leaking and blowing out of the disposables several times a day.
Once we started using the cloth diapers, we had no leaks,
and no explosions up the back. I can’t
say that we haven’t had our fair share of full diapers and leaks with the
cloth, but the mess is much more contained and very rare. After taking a family trip for a week when my
son was only 6 weeks old, we knew cloth diapers were the only thing for
us. We used disposable diapers since we
couldn’t wash and it was a disaster. My
son went through over 90 diapers in one week!
He was pooping every time he ate, which meant he was pooping up his back
several times a day. The diapers just
couldn’t contain all the poop and pee. Our
son ended up with a horrible diaper rash which makes me even happier we use
cloth for his sensitive skin.
Not only are we saving money every month since our diaper
stash was all gifted to us before our baby was born, but we are also saving the
environment as well. My husband and I
think it’s funny that we are asked by friends and family all the time… “So, are
you still using cloth diapers?” I guess
they all thought we would give up. We
answer with a strong “Yes!!” We tell
them how much we love using them, how our son hasn’t had a diaper rash in them,
and that he hasn’t pooped up his back once in them. Yes, it’s come out the sides a few times, but
come on, any diaper can only hold so much poop.
If you are thinking about cloth diapering, my first advice
would be to get on http://www.diaperswappers.com/
and start asking questions. There are
also some great companies that have try-me packs which are a great idea if you
don’t know what you want to use. Since
my sister had already done all the trying out for me, I just asked for her
advice and ran with it. We are happy
with our decision and love our diapers.
Lucky for me my sister had already tired over 6 different kinds of diapers. I wanted easy, daddy friendly and cute. Beware; cloth diapering can be bad for your
budget if you can’t control yourself.
There are so many cute covers out there, so make sure you can either
afford to splurge or have control over your spending. Happy diapering and good luck!
* ------------------------------------------- *
:: If you use cloth diapers what is your one word of advice? If you don't use cloth but are interested what is one question you have? ::
| I love hearing from you! Leave a comment below ♥ Accustomed Chaos | Gluten Free Attachment Parenting™ Email: accustomedchaos@gmail.com |









