Monday, February 8, 2010

Product Review: Glutino Pretzels

Back in 2007 when I was first diagnosed with Celiac disease - morning the loss of my favourite foods was tough.  How was I going to cope without pizza, perogies, bread ... the list went on.  One that didn't immediately come to mind was pretzels - gosh I loved them - eaten alone, dipped in mustard or chocolate - they were definately a favourite of mine.

Two years had gone by since I had been diagnosed and I really missed my pretzels.  I had come across pretty good substitutes for most of my favourite foods - but had yet to even look for pretzels. I (foolishly) thought there was no way that someone could mimic the texture, crunch and taste of an actual pretzel.

I will admit that I can sometimes have a hard time purchasing GF products if I dont' know or have an expectation that they will be worth it.  The price is high and I would rather be without a certain item then risk being let down by one - mourning food can be hard for me (ha).

Then I was given a bag of Glutino Pretzels from my Grandmother and my whole world changed. These crunchy pieces of Heaven are SO GOOD - there is no way you can tell they are gluten free.  From a product that is made primarily of a few ingredients - the main one being wheat flour - I was not expecting these to be similar.  Glutino Pretzels are made from a combination of corn and potato starch and are also casein and egg free and contains no preservatives or artificial flavors.

If you are on a gluten free diet and are tired of mourning the loss of pretzels - give these Glutino Pretzels a try and you will not be disappointed.

Visit their website or order online at glutenfree.com. Let me know what you think of these or if you have another brand recommendation.