Since I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac Disease until 2007 when I was 25 years old I didn't miss out on any kid fun things when I was growing up. Everything is centered around food - and since my daughter is unable to eat gluten I often worry if she will be left out of fun times growing up.
One big worry for me is school. My oldest child is starting Senior Kindergarten this September (we didn't have him in JK) and I am worried about even him coming into contact with gluten. We don't think he has a gluten intolerance or celiac disease - but I don't want to worry about any gluten coming into the house.
So, when I came across this article on About.com: Celiac Disease about the gluten free summer camps available in the USA I was impressed. Summer camps is such a childhood experience I am really glad to see there are so many camps available.
In Canada there seem to be far more peanut and tree nut free camps, but also a few for celiac disease as well. I know with Celiac Disease and the gluten free diet becoming more noted in the media - more camps and opportunities will come up for our children with celiac disease.
Have your children ever attended a gluten free summer camp? What was their experience?
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory









