Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gluten Free Diet: Do You Ever Cheat?

We have all heard of people who are on the gluten free diet but treat themselves with gluten once in a while. I have often wondered if those who do that actually have Celiac Disease or are just on a gluten free diet for healthier choice reasons or something else.

Call me crazy but 'treating' myself to gluten once in a while would be anything but a treat.  I am so sensitive to gluten that even a bread crumb has the capacity to ruin me for weeks or months.  I go through measures to make sure I don't accidentally get glutened.

My brother who also has celiac disease decided last year on his birthday to treat himself to a day of gluten binging. He picked a breakfast, lunch and dinner that he could not easily/affordably/conveniently recreate gluten free and ate to his hearts desire. The next day he was full of such guilt and pain from doing that.

For those of you who do 'treat' yourselves to gluten once in a while - do you find your reaction to be less or more after being off it for so long? For those of you who don't ever treat - what would you treat yourself with if you could 'unceliac' yourself for one day? 

Do You Ever Cheat on your Gluten Free Diet?




Would Love to Hear From You! Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment Below

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory