Tuesday, January 5, 2010

GF/CF Sugar Cookies

I decided to be adventurous today and bake up some gluten free casein free cookies with my 3 kids today. I have never made regular sugar cookies before - and certainly not GFCF ones so I was not sure what I was up for (I have made a million regular gluten cookies before in my lifetime).

The recipe is as follows:

1/2c casein free margarine
1/2c sugar
1 egg
1 1/2tbs almond milk
1c corn starch
1/2tsp baking soda
1tbs + 1ts
p baking powder
1/4tsp salt
2tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2tsp guar gum

Preheat oven to 375
Cream the butter and sugar in a medium-size bowl. Add the egg.
Mix until light and thick. Add the other ingredients. Beat until thick and creamy.
Drop by rounded teaspoons onto the prepared pan. Press to a 1/4 inch
thickness with moistened fingertips. Top with sugar or sprink
les, if desired.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Do not underbake!
These cookies will seem flexible when transferrin
g them from the pan to a rack. They will crisp
while cooling.



The recipe i used for the icing is:

3/4c casein free margarine
3c icing sugar
2tbs vanilla extract
1/2c almond milk

Mix all ingredients together. Add food coloring if desired.

I always use Wilton Icing Colors - they have AMAZING colors and will last forever. To get a nice dark color you just need to dip the tip of a knife into the jar and that is it! I used the colors Moss Green and Red-Red